A few weekends ago, The Texan and I went to a dinner party. It wasn’t stuffy, as the name implies. It was very laid back. There was lots of wine flowing, lots of food being grilled, and The Best Cole Slaw recipe in the world was served.
I begged for the recipe, and received it a few days later. After studying it for the better part of two weeks, I decided to tackle it – making tweaks to suit our taste buds. My taste buds were dancing. Seriously.
I started by shredding my cabbages, I used both green and purple.
Then I chopped some walnuts, and some onions.
Next up – julienned apples. One red. One green.
In another bowl, I mixed up my dressing. Mayonnaise, olive oil, dijon mustard, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, local honey, salt and pepper. Give it a nice whisk.
Add your dressing to your waiting slaw…and mix with YOUR HANDS. Yep, your hands. Make sure they’re clean!
Top with crumbled bleu cheese and you’re ready to eat. Now, I like to let mine sit a while before I eat it. Yesterday, I made the slaw at lunch time and we ate it during dinner. It was good then, but I just polished off another plateful and it’s even better 24 hours later! I’m telling you – this is the best cole slaw recipe.
- 1 head Purple Cabbage, shredded
- 1 head Green Cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 medium Onion, chopped
- 1/2 medium Red Apple, julienned
- 1/2 medium Green Apple, julienned
- 1/2 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Local Honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Yellow Mustard
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup Bleu Cheese, crumbled
- In medium serving bowl, combine shredded cabbages in a bowl, add onion, apples and walnuts.
- In separate bowl, whisk together Olive Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Local Honey, Mayonnaise, Mustards, and Salt & Pepper.
- Pour the dressing over the slaw and mix with your hands.
- Top with bleu cheese crumbles.
- Let sit 6 - 24 hours before serving.
- Adjust the vinegar, honey, mayonnaise, and mustards to suit your taste buds.