Currently, the state of Massachusetts does not have a working mandatory policy regarding earned paid sick time in places of employment. As a result, many employees must make the devastating decision between potentially losing their job or sending a sick child to school (or going into work sick themselves). Thankfully, there is legislation that is currently on the table that would provide for earned paid sick time.
The Earned Sick Time bill is a crucial piece of legislation that balances the needs of Massachusetts families as well as business owners, while also protecting the public health. This bill will not only strengthen our families, but balance the needs of our businesses, making Massachusetts a healthier place to live and work. The benefits to this bill are numerous, and include (but are certainly not limited to) the following:
- Paid sick leave in Massachusetts would lower healthcare costs by reducing unnecessary emergency room visits.
- Reducing employee turnover, the spread of disease in the workplace and lost productivity – a $348 million annual benefit to Massachusetts employers, and a net savings of $0.89 per worker per week.
- Reducing on the job injuries directly caused by employees who work while sick.
- Paid sick time keeps the workplace and public healthy by reducing the spread of illness in the workplace and in public
- You can read more about the benefits of the earned paid sick time bill here.
There is already a lot of support for this bill, in fact – 72% of MA voters want earned sick time! There is even some political support. Senator Dan Wolf wrote an excellent op/ed for The Barnstable Patriot where he made the real world case for paid sick leave, while Springfield representative Cheryl Coakley-Rivera discussed how this is a social justice issue in The Republican.
For some, earned paid sick time truly will mean that somebody in the state will not lose their job because they are too sick to work or need to stay home with a sick child. To find out more about this important legislation, please visit the Massachusetts Paid Sick Leave Coalition.
As an issue that hits close to home for many, there are ways we can ensure that this legislation gets passed. Contact your State Legislators to tell them this legislation is important to you!
Look up your State Legislators
E-mail your State Senator
E-mail your State Representative
Call the Massachusetts State House and ask for your Representative and/or Senator: (617) 722-2000
Contact the Governor and tell him this legislation is important to you.
You can also fill out this form to take part in a letter writing campaign that MomsRising created.
Please take the time to learn more about this crucial legislation which will benefit everyone in our state.
-Written and compiled by Avital Norman Nathman on behalf of MotherWoman.