We all know that turning the lights off when you leave the room is good for the environment. For some, remembering to do this is a big effort. However, making small eco-friendly choices like this benefits the environment and your wallet! Try these 5 eco-friendly changes and see what an impact it has on your life.
1. Use Compact Flourscent Light bulbs (CFLS). These light bulbs plug into standard sockets and use less energy than a traditional bulb. Check with your electric provider, complimentary bulbs may be available in your area.
2. Adjust your thermostat. It’s no secret that setting the your thermostat below 68°F in the colder months can save between 3-5% off your energy costs. Put on an extra sweater, thicker socks, and a scarf. In the summer, your thermostat is just as important. Keep it set above 78°F to save.
3. Insulate your water heater. Insulating your water heater with a jacket will help to regulate the temperature. Be sure that your water heater is set at a reasonable temperature as well, typically 120°F.
4. Use reusable grocery bags. Bring your own bags to the grocery store! Keep a stash in the trunk of your vehicle so you always have them on hand. You can use any type of bag – think of the free canvas tote you received from your insurance agent or the bag that was free at the grand opening of your favorite store. Any bag will do, it doesn’t need to be marketed as a grocery bag! Just be sure to launder them regularly.
5. Wash your laundry in cold water using a detergent like Clorox Green Works. Cold water is effective in cleaning your laundry; consider air drying as well. Green Works believes that green can be for anyone without sacrificing time, money, or a lot of effort. These plant-based cleaners stand up to the power of conventional cleaners and are at least 95% naturally-derived ingredients. I’d say that is an eco-friendly win!
What steps are you taking to become more eco-friendly?
Check out the series of six-second claymation @Greenworks Vine videos (http://greenwor.kz/V) and see the tough natural products at work. You can unlock a coupon code for Green Works All Purpose Cleaner on Soap.com each week through April 30, 2014.