Learn how to make delicious baked donuts by following the simple recipe shared in this post. Baked donuts are perfect for weekday mornings or lazy weekends.
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that I love sweet breakfasts like cinnamon rolls and sweet cream blueberry muffins. Making Sunday breakfast is something I really enjoy. Eating donuts is something that I also enjoy. But, I don’t like to get in the car and drive to get them. Yesterday I decided that enough was enough. I was going to figure out how to make simple baked donuts if it took me all day! Thankfully, it didn’t!
The great thing about baked donuts is that you probably have all of the ingredients on hand. You do need a special donut pan, but Amazon can deliver this one to you in time for the weekend – no need to worry!
How to Make Baked Donuts
Baked donuts are a quick breakfast treat that are perfect for lazy weekends or busy weekday mornings. To start, whisk flour, cocoa powder (if you’re making chocolate donuts), granulated sugar, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. In another bowl, whisk together melted butter, an egg, milk, and vanilla. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry. Spoon donut batter into a zip top bag, then snip the corner and fill the cavity of each donut mold about three-quarters full. After baking, let them cool slightly in the pan before moving the a rack to cool completely.
Here’s where it gets fun! You can eat them as is (but that is boring, these are donuts afterall!) or you can add an easy icing and colorful jimmies (or sprinkles, depending on where you’re from!).
How to Make Icing for Donuts
Making icing for donuts is so easy. Seriously, you’ll want to make donuts every day just to make these delicious icing!
In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Then slowly add 1 – 2 tablespoons of cold milk while whisking. Want it colorful? Add a few drops of food coloring. Once the donuts are cool, dip them into the icing and top with jimmies (or sprinkles, depending on where you’re from!).
Let the decorated donuts sit for about 15 minutes before stacking or storing. They should keep for two days in an airtight container. But, let’s be honest. They probably won’t last that long!
- For the Donuts:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (optional, for chocolate donuts only)
- 2 tsp. butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- For the Icing:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1-2 tbsp milk
- food coloring (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray donut pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt (and cocoa powder if making chocolate donuts).
- In a seperate bowl, whisk melted butter, egg, milk, and vanilla.
- Combine wet ingredients to dry ingredients.
- Spoon donut batter into zip top bag and snip end.
- Fill donut molds 3/4 of the way full with donut batter.
- Bake 9-11 minutes.
- Let cool slightly in pan, then remove to cooling rack.
- To make the Icing:
- Whisk together powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt. Add 1 - 2 tbsp. of milk and a few drops of food coloring, if desired.
- To decorate the donuts:
- Once donuts are cool, dip donuts into icing. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Do you prefer a vanilla donut or is chocolate your favorite?