It’s no secret that we love blueberries around here. At the end of the summer it’s so fun to pick them at the farm and bring them home to freeze for later use. I use our fresh-frozen blueberries to make a variety of muffins and breads during the long New England winter.
Today, I’m sharing an easy recipe for delicious blueberry mini muffins. I prefer to make mini muffins rather than standard or jumbo size. Mini muffins are easy to grab and go, and perfectly sized for kid’s hands.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries, rinsed
- Preheat Oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease muffin tins or line them with paper.
- In large bowl, add dry ingredients.
- In a small bowl, mix egg, butter, and applesauce.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and blend until just moistened.
- Gently fold in blueberries with a spoon. Do not use the blade of your mixer or your berries will break. Note: If you prefer your muffins to have a purple hue to them, add the blueberries with the dry ingredients. This will ensure they sufficiently squished to tint your batter.
- Divide mixture among muffin tins. Bake for 12-15 minutes, longer if you’re using a standard size muffin tin. Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack and shoving one into your mouth.
These blueberry mini muffins are sure to be a huge hit with the little ones in your life. Try switching up the berries and using whatever you have on hand. If you’d like, freeze half of the cooked mini muffins for another day. Cool to room temperature and freeze on a baking sheet before transfering to a zip top bag for storage. Defrost them overnight in the refrigerator or pop them in the microwave for a few seconds when you’re craving a blueberry mini muffin!
What is your favorite type of mini muffin to bake? Leave me a comment below letting me know!