If you are looking for the perfect coffee cake donut recipe to pair with your favorite cup of hot coffee, you’ve found it! This coffee cake donut recipe is delicious and you can make it in under an hour! You can make this coffee cake donut recipe on a weekday morning – or save it for Sunday. Either way, you’ll want to double the recipe because the donuts are THAT GOOD.
What inspired this coffee cake donut recipe was a recent trip to my local Stop & Shop supermarket. I needed K-Cups and wanted to try something new-to-me. When I saw that the Folgers® K-Cup® Pods were on sale, so I decided to give them a whirl. Folgers® has been The Best Part of Wakin’ Up for more than 150 years. For a limited time you can save with this digital coupon offer.
Folgers Morning Cafe® Coffee is light-bodied and bright. This mild roast is perfect for starting my day. Some days, I find myself reaching for Folgers® 100% Colombian Coffee K-Cup® Pods. This Medium Dark Roast is distinctively rich and has the full-bodied taste of 100% Colombian beans.
Whatever flavor of Folgers K-Cups you choose, they will pair well with this easy to make Coffee Cake Donuts recipe.
Once you make these Coffee Cake Donuts, you’re going to wonder how you lived so long without them in your life. Remember the packaged coffee cakes that came two to a package in your high school cafeteria. Yeah, these taste like those. A little bit of nostalgia for ya!
What I love most about this recipe is that it’s made with simple ingredients you probably have on hand in your kitchen.
I do use a special donut pan for this recipe, but don’t worry if you don’t have one in your kitchen. You can make this recipe using a mini muffin pan. They’ll be more like coffee cake donut holes, but will still taste delicious!
In the past, I’ve made cinnamon sugar donuts using yogurt in the recipe. This time, however, I decided to add a bit of sour cream. Good choice.
This recipe makes one dozen Coffee Cake Donuts using a standard size donut pan. If a dozen is too many for you, these Coffee Cake Donuts freeze well.
Although the crumb topping is made with brown sugar and white sugar, the dusting of confectionary sugar over the top of the baked donuts is a worthwhile addition.
It’s time for you to go brew yourself a delicious cup of coffee with your favorite flavor Folgers K-Cups and get to work baking these easy Coffee Cake Donuts!
Folgers K-Cups are #AlwaysTheBestPart of the morning, but these coffee cake donuts are a close second!
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 2 large eggs
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Confectioners' sugar for dusting before serving
- Preheat oven to 350 and spray donut pan with cooking spray.
- Make the crumble topping first by combining the sugars and cinnamon together in a medium bowl. Whisk in the melted butter, then add the flour. Mix together and set aside.
- To make the donut batter, whisk together the flour, baking power, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. In another bowl, combine the butter, eggs, brown sugar, milk, and sour cream. Mix thoroughly.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir until just incorporated. The batter will be thick.
- Spoon the batter into a large zip top plastic bag, snip the corner of the bag and fill the donut cavities about 2/3 of the way full.
- Press the crumble topping into the batter to ensure it stays in place during the baking process.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until donuts are slightly brown around the edges and on top.
- Let cool in pan 2-3 minutes before moving to cooling rack. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired.