Can you believe the college football bowl games are over?! The Texan lives for college football and we watch as many of the games as we can. Now that we’re shifting gear to professional football playoffs, I knew I needed to up my party food game. And I did it with these Salsa Mac and Cheese Bites.
Mac and cheese is one of my favorite foods. Is there really anything better than pasta and gooey cheese? Sometimes, I like to change things up. The Texan will tell you that he is a mac and cheese purist. But, he’s always willing to try my concoctions. And this. This did not disappoint.
I like to make mac and cheese from scratch, but I’m sure you could use your favorite boxed mix. This recipe is so easy, you’ll skip the box! Simply cook elbow macaroni according to package instructions, taking care to heavily salt the water as that’s where your pasta draws it’s flavor. Once it’s cooked, drain it, but don’t rinse. Return to the original pot.
Add butter, milk, egg, Pace® medium salsa, and cheese. Taking care to stir well. Spoon into a mini muffin tin coated with non-stick spray. Or butter, if that’s how you roll. Top with breadcrumbs and bake in a 375 degree oven for 20 minutes.
BAM! Salsa Mac and Cheese bites. I used medium salsa, but keep in mind that Pace® has a variety of textures and heat levels. Truly something for everyone!
Thanks to Pace®, you can easily kick up the flavor of your meals. Be sure to look for Pace® Salsa and Picante sauces at your neighborhood Walmart.
What game day recipe would you add Pace® Salsa to kick up the flavor of?
- 1/4 pound elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 2 Tablespoons butter, Unsalted
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Pace® Medium Salsa
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup seasoned Italian bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 375. Spray one mini muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and return to pot. Do NOT rinse.
- Add butter to elbows stirring until melted.
- Add milk, egg, salsa stirring until well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add cheese, stirring until melted.
- Spoon mac and cheese into muffin tins using a spoon or 1-inch scoop.
- Top with bread crumbs.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
This recipe makes 24 salsa mac and cheese bites. Adjust proportions accordingly to increase the number of salsa mac and cheese bites.